United States Senate Inquiry

Day 18

Proces-Verbal (SS Olympic), cont.

I then informed Cape Race that it was no use sending me messages from newspapers asking to send news of Titanic, as we had no news to give. If he had no important traffic he had better stand-by, as it was most important that I should get hold of some ship who has news of the Titanic. Cape Race says, "We must clear traffic, as all the messages are paid for."
Called "CQ" to stand-by.

2 p.m.

Establish communication with the S. S. Carpathia; ask him for news of the Titanic. He says, "I can't do everything at once. Patience, please," Then continues, "I received distress signals from the Titanic at 11.20, and we proceeded right to the spot mentioned. On arrival at daybreak we saw field ice 25 miles, apparently solid, and a quantity of wreckage and a number of boats full of people. We raised about 670 souls. The Titanic has sunk. She went down in about two hours. Captain and all engineers lost. Our captain sent order that there was no need for Baltic to come any farther. So with that she returned on her course to Liverpool. Are you going to resume your course on that information? We have two or three officers aboard and the second Marconi operator, who had been creeping his way through water 30º sometime. Mr. Ismay aboard." This information was reported to the commander immediately. I informed the Carpathia that if he had any important traffic to get through I would take it for him, as I was then in communication with Cape Race.
Told Carpathia bi for service message. He informs me that he has had nothing to eat since 5.30 p. m., yesterday.

2.35 p.m.

Sent following to Carpathia:

"CAPTAIN Carpathia:"
7.12 p. m., G. M. T. Our position 41.17 N. 53.53 W. Steering east, true; shall I meet you and where.


2.40 p.m.

Communication with the S. S. Virginian (Allan). He says please tell Carpathia we have been standing by for him since he asked us to resume our course at 9 a. m., when we were within 25 miles of him. Have message for him. I told the Virginian to give the Carpathia a chance, as he was so busy.

3.15 p.m.

Received the following from the Carpathia:


"CAPTAIN Olympic:"
7.30 G. M. T. Lat. 41.15 north, long. 51.45 west. Am steering south 87 west, true. Returning to New York with Titanic's passengers.



"CAPTAIN Olympic:"
Bruce Ismay is under opiate.



"CAPTAIN Olympic:"
Do you think it is advisable Titanic's passengers see Olympic? Personally I say not.



"CAPTAIN Olympic:
Mr. Ismay orders Olympic not to be seen by Carpathia. No transfer to take place.


"CAPTAIN Carpathia:
Kindly inform me if there is the slightest hope of searching Titanic position at daybreak. Agree with you on not meeting. Will stand on present course until you have passed and will then haul more to southward. Does this parallel of 41.17 N. lead clear of the ice? Have you communicated the disaster to our people at New York or Liverpool, or shall I do so, and what particulars can you give me to send?"
Sincere thanks for what you have done.


4 p.m.

Following from Carpathia:


"CAPT. HADDOCK, Olympic:"
South point pack ice 41.16 north. Don't attempt to go north until 49.30 west. Many bergs. large and small, amongst pack. Also for many miles to eastward. Fear absolutely no hope searching Titanic's position. Left Leyland S. S. Californian searching around. All boats accounted for. About 675 souls saved, crew and passengers; latter nearly all women and children. Titanic foundered about 2.20 a. m., 5.47 G. M. T., in 41.46 north. 50.14 west; not certain of having got through. Please forward to White Star, also to Cunard, Liverpool and New York, that I am returning to New York. Consider this mast advisable for many considerations.


4.15 p.m.

Told Carpathia that we would report the information to White Star and Cunard immediately.

4.35 p.m.

Following service messages sent to Cape Race:


ISMAY, New York and Liverpool:
"Carpathia reached Titanic position at daybreak. Found boats and wreckage only. Titanic had foundered about 2.20 a. m. in 41.16 N., 50.14 W. All her boats accounted for. About 675 souls saved, crew and passengers; latter nearly all women and children. Leyland Line S. S. Californian remaining and searching position of disaster. Carpathia returning to New York with survivors. Please inform Cunard.



Inexpressible sorrow. Am proceeding straight on voyage. Carpathia informs me no hope in searching. Will send names survivors as obtainable. Yamsi on Carpathia.


4.50 p.m.

Following service message sent to Carpathia:

"CAPTAIN Carpathia:"
Can you give me names survivors forward?


4.52 p.m.

Signals with Californian, who says: "We were the second boat on the scene of disaster. All we could see there were some boxes and coats and a few empty boats and what looked like oil on the water. When we were near the Carpathia he would not answer me, though I kept on calling him, as I wanted the position. He kept on talking to the Baltic. The latter says he is going to report me for jamming. We were the nearer boat to the Carpathia. A boat called the Birma was still looking."

Informed the Californian that would take note of fact that in cases of distress nearer ships should have precedence.

5.20 p.m.

Californian sends through following ice report: Icebergs and field ice at 42.3 north 49.9 west; 41.33 north, 50.09 west. He tells us he is 200 miles out of his course.

5.45 p.m.

Received following from the Carpathia:

(Private to Capt. Haddock, Olympic.)

"Captain: Chief, first, and sixth officers, and all engineers gone; also doctor; all pursers; one Marconi operator, and chief steward gone. We have second, third, fourth, and fifth officers and one Marconi operator on board.



"Captain Olympic:"
Will send names immediately we can. You can understand we are working under considerable difficulty. Everything possible being done for comfort of survivors. Please maintain Stanbi.


Carpathia then starts sending names of survivors. He says: "Please excuse sending, but am half asleep."

7.35 p.m.

Received 322 first and second class passengers' names from him. During the transmission of the names it was evident that the operator on Carpathia was tired out.

7.40 p.m.

Seven forty sent five private messages to the Carpathia. He says the third class passengers' names and list of crew will follow later.

7.50 p.m.

Trying to read Cape Race, who has a bunch of traffic for us. His signals very weak and am interfered with by atmospherics. We try for some time, but his signals so weak impossible to hear him.

8.25 p.m.

Received following messages from the Carpathia for retransmission to Cape Race:


"CUNARD, New York, 7.55 p. m.:
"New York, at. 41.45 north, long. 50.20 west. Orfanello New York otherwise ordered with about Impusieron Calamarais with Mr. Ismay and Bonplandie with so much ice about consider New York best. Large number of icebergs and twenty miles of field ice with bergs amongst.


"Carpathia, Cunard, Liverpool."
(Text same as last message.)

"Cunard, New York and Liverpool:
Titanic struck iceberg Monday 3 a. m., 41.46 north, 50.14 west. Carpathia picked up many passengers in boats Will wire further particulars later. Proceeding back to New York.


Carpathia, Associated Press, New York." (Text same as last message.)

Asked Carpathia if he had list of third class and crew survivors ready. He says: "No; will send them soon."

8.35 p.m.

Sent one private message to Californian asking if they had any survivors on board from the Titanic.

8.45 p.m.

Private message from the Californian saying no Titanic survivors on board. Standing by for the Carpathia. and calling him frequently. Hear nothing from him. I informed the commander that I was unable to hear anything more of Carpathia and asked, "Should I start sending list of names to Cape Race?" He instructed me to send them.

10 p.m.

Calling Cape Race with list at survivors, but can not hear him.

10.30 p.m.

Sable Island answers me and offers traffic. Told him I have list of survivors here and ask him to take them. Sable island gives "O. K.," and I commence sending them to him.

Tuesday, April 16, 1912

12.20 a.m.

Cape Race breaks in. His signals good; says he can read me OJ and that he has already been receiving names I have been sending to Sable Island; so as Cape Race is strong and Sable Island very difficult to read on account of atmospherics, I send the remaining names to Cape Race.

2.30 a.m.

Completed sending list of survivors' names through to Cape Race, and then start sending Carpathia's service messages, after which received the following from him:


"Capt. HADDOCK, Olympic:"
It is vitally important that we have names of every survivor on Carpathia immediately. If you can expedite this by standing by the Carpathia please do so."


2.55 a.m.


"CAPTAIN Olympic:"
Wireless name of every passenger, officer, crew of Carpathia; it is most important. Keep in communication with the Carpathia to accomplish this. Instruct Californian stand by scene of wreck until she hears from us or is relieved or her coal supply runs short. Ascertain Californian's coal and how long she can stand by. Has life raft been accounted for? Are you absolutely satisfied that Carpathia has all survivors, as we heard a rumor that Virginian, Parisian also had survivors? Where is Baltic?



CAPTAIN Olympic:"
Distressed to learn from your message that Carpathia is only steamer with passengers. We understand Virginian and Parisian also has passengers, and are you in communication with them and can you get any information?


3.10 a.m.

Now daylight. Cape Races' signals die off.

3.35 a.m.

Signals with the Virginian. He says, "We were requested by Carpathia to resume our course at the same time as the Baltic. We got within 25 miles of the Titanic. I heard her distress signal calls and we went to her right away. We had 200 miles to go."

8.45 a.m.

Received following service message:


"CAPTAIN Olympic:"
"Hear rumors that we have survivors of Titanic on board. This is not so. I have none. At 10 a. m. yesterday, when 30 miles from position of disaster, received Marconi from Marconi, as follows:

"Turn back now. Everything O. K.. We have 800 aboard. Return to your northern track.' I consequently proceeded on my course to Liverpool. Similar instructions were sent at same time to the Baltic from Carpathia. I passed a large quantity of heavy field ice and bergs. Compliments.