TESTIMONY OF THOMAS QUINN
Examined by Mr. DUNLOP.
374. Were you an able seaman on board the "Lusitania”?
375. At 2 p.m. on the day she was lost were you on watch in the crow's nest?
376. Was it your duty to look out on the starboard side?
377. Had you another man with you in the crow's nest whose duty it was to look out on the port side of the ship?
378. After you had been there for a few minutes, did you see something in the sea?
379. What was it?
- I saw a torpedo coming and I saw the submerge, but I never saw the submarine itself. I reported it by word of mouth to the bridge.
380. Did you see the torpedo strike the ship?
- Yes, I waited there until it did.
381. Where did it strike?
- It struck right amidships near No. 5 boat and splintered No. 5 boat to pieces.
382. Did you hear any orders from the bridge?
- I got orders to report anything I saw even if I saw a broomhandle.
383. I mean after the explosion?
- No. After the explosion I did not receive any orders front the bridge of any sort.
384. Did you come down and go to your boat?
- Yes, I come down and went to No.3 boat.
385. The Commissioner: Can you tell us from what direction the torpedo was coming. Was it coming end on to the starboard side of the ship?
- It was coming, as far as I could say, from a range abaft the foremast. It was about 200 yards away.
386. Do you mean to say when you first saw it it was about 200 yards away?
- The submerge was about 200 yards away; she was going down.
387. Did you ever see the submarine?
- I did not see the submarine.
388. You saw nothing but the torpedo?
- I saw only the break of the water like the letter "T".
389. How far was the torpedo away from the ship when you first saw it?
- I think it would be about 100 yards - fully 100 yards.
390. Was it coming straight, end on?
- Straight, right correct for the ship. She could not have got clear had she been going a hundred knots.
391. Was it directly beam on?
- No, it was coming right forward, as far as I could see; the submarine was ahead of us waiting for us, and it came right direct abaft the foremast. The ship was going about 17 or 18 knots.
(The Witness withdrew.)